Università della Svizzera italiana
Via Giuseppe Buffi 13, CH-6904 Lugano
Tel.: +41 (0)58 666 40 00 – Fax: +41 (0)58 666 46 47
Located in the heart of Lugano, the Campus hosts the USI Faculties of Communication Sciences, Economics and Informatics, as well as the University central administrative offices and library. The nucleus of the Lugano Campus is an ancient neoclassical palace, which originally housed the city hospital. With the growth of the University, new, modern buildings have risen around it, among which are the library, the Aula Magna (capable of hosting over 1,000 people), the red building (classrooms), the LAB, devoted to research and individual study, and the Informatics Building. The Campus buildings host offices for faculty and staff, classrooms, computer labs accessible 24/7, a cafeteria, and several areas for individual and group study.
The Lugano campus map
1. Main Building hosts the Faculties of Communication Sciences and Economics, the Executive Centre, classrooms, faculty offices, computer and technical laboratories, study rooms and several administration offices.
2. Central Block cafeteria and the Auditorium are located in the same building, and are accessed through the main building. The cafeteria is located on the second floor and the Auditorium on the third.
3. Lecture and seminar rooms / “Red Building” informally known as “Palazzo Rosso” (Red Building), this building consists of several classrooms (seating capacity of ca. 1,000 students).
4. Informatics Building accommodates all classrooms, offices, laboratories, study spaces and administration offices of the Faculty of Informatics.
5. Main Lecture Theatre (“Aula Magna”)
7. LAB / “Glass Building” is a space dedicated to the Institute of Computational Science.
8. “Blue Building” accommodates most of the institutes and research centres of the University of Lugano. 9. Lambertenghi Building houses the presidency, the Institute of Italian Studies (ISI), and some of the university’s core services.
10. Maderno Building set a few hundred meters away from the Lugano University campus, are located several offices and the Institute for Economic Research (IRE) of the University of Lugano.
How to reach the Lugano campus
- By car – A2 Motorway: exit Lugano Nord, follow the direction “Lugano-Gandria” to the Vedeggio Cassarate Tunnel. Exit the tunnel and keep going straight till you reach a crossroad (the stadium is in front of you) turn left at the crossroad onto via Alla Bozzoreda. Keep the right lane and turn right at the traffic light onto via Ciani. Keep going straight following the river Cassarate. The underground University parking lot is passed the second traffic light after the Glass Building (The Lab) on your right. If you need to reach the University entrance instead, keep going straight passed the parking lot entrance and turn second right onto via Fusoni. Turn second right onto Via Lambertenghi and keep going straight till the end of the road until you see the University main building in front of you.
- The Campus can be reached on foot or by bus:
– by bus from the train station: go to the bus stop across the street from the train station and take the bus nr. 6 direction Cornaredo and get off at “Università” (3 stops).
– by bus from downtown Lugano: take the funicular from inside the station to the centre of the city or walk downtown taking the pedestrian bridge across the street from the station and following the road downhill. From Piazza Cioccaro (funicular station) head south until you reach Piazza Dante. Walk across the piazza and turn left onto Via Pretorio to reach the bus terminal. Take the Bus 5 direction “Viganello” and get off at “Università” (3 stops) .
– on foot (around 20-25 minutes): reach the city centre by taking the pedestrian bridge across the street from the train station and follow the road downhill, or take the funicular from inside the train station. From Piazza Cioccaro head south to Piazza Dante. Walk across the square and turn left onto Via Pretorio. Cross Via Pretorio to get to the bus terminal. Walk pass the bus terminal and keep heading straight onto Corso Pestalozzi until you reach a big underground parking and the entrance of the park Ciani. Turn left onto Via Lucchini and keep walking straight until you reach the University main building (Via Lucchini eventually becomes Via Lambertenghi).
How to reach Lugano
You can find more information on how to reach Lugano here